PortfolioSite

djwiley912.weebly.com

Friday, November 16, 2012

Train Your Brain Contest: Clockwork Man WIP

I working on a model for the Train your Brain contest on DeviantArt. I am going to submit for the Entertainment 3D category. 

I am working on an old concept I did; a clockwork person/angel. In high school for my AP art class we had to come up with a concept and use that 1 concept in 6 different pieces of art. If I remember correctly I was planning on redoing old paintings of angels and doing them with this robotic theme. I did not do this concept instead I did a Tarot Card Circus theme with oil paints.


Anyway; I am at that stage in the sculpt where I haven't really dedicated myself to the work yet. Its at that starting point and I need to sit down and concept the body. I am studying a lot of machinery, clocks, old windup dolls and am working on a Clockwork skeleton that will be seen through out the body, like the neck area and the eyes.   This will be a project where I am going to jump from program to program. I am modeling the outer shell in Zbrush and the cogs and inner workings in Softimage.

The due date is Dec 3rd for the contest, so I really want to make this piece look as good as I can. I sculpted the head to see if I could match my concept and I think its okay. If the sculpt didn't turn out well then I wasn't going to bother. I am glad my skills have improved to the point where I can feel confident I can make this piece look really well.

So I will be working on this with all the spare time I have.

-----------

With this Clockwork man I have a robotic/hard surface character. So I was thinking about doing an anime style character to model or a really cartoony character. I think I need to do both;do something outside my comfort zone and muddle through it. I mean Batman was a great stylized character but I would not call him cartoony.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment